Recognizing the early warning signs of axle trouble can save you from costly repairs and significant downtime. Here at Carolina Axle Surgeons Inc., our expertise stretches over a century, and we are committed to keeping you informed, safe, and on the road.
With that in mind, we have compiled a list of five not-so-obvious signs you might need axle repair in the near future.
- Irregular tire wear. Unusual tire wear patterns can indicate you need axle repair. If you notice one side of the tire is wearing out faster than the other side, it might be a sign that the axle is not distributing weight evenly. Regular tire inspections can help you easily spot this subtle symptom.
- Vibrations and noise. While driving, you might feel unusual vibrations or hear odd noises. These sensations may become more pronounced at higher speeds or during turns. It could be a symptom of a bent axle, a common issue following an accident or collision with a curb.
- Difficulty steering. If your vehicle drifts to one side or the other or feels unsteady during turns, it could indicate axle damage. A damaged axle can affect your vehicle’s alignment and suspension, making steering more difficult and less predictable.
- Leaking grease. Grease leakage might be a symptom of a damaged axle boot, which protects the axle joint. If you spot dark grease on the inside of your wheel or around the drive shaft, it might be time to schedule axle repair services.
- Poor brake performance. Axle issues can seriously impact on your brake system. It might be linked to a damaged axle if you experience unusual brake behavior, like a dragging sensation or a decrease in stopping power.
Recognizing these signs early can help mitigate damage and avoid costly repairs. We offer both on-site and mobile repair services, promising a prompt response within 24 hours of your call. Our experienced team will thoroughly inspect your axles, wheels, and suspension system, providing a comprehensive and honest assessment of the work needed.